the highest distillery in Scotland stands in an area steeped in history.
The place name itself means 'meeting place', where cattle drovers
and smugglers met on their way to markets in the south. It is often
referred to as 'The Gentle Spirit'
distillery was originally named Strathspey when it was established
during the whisky boom of the late 1890s by two men from Kingussie.
They chose the site for its access to a supply of clear spring water
from Lochan-Doire-Uaine, above the snow line, and abundant peat
from the surrounding moors.
Dalwhinnie Distillery The business was not a great success, however,
and in 1905 Dalwhinnie was sold to the largest distilling company
in America, Cook & Bernheimer. This gave rise to a great concern
within the whisky industry in Scotland, which feared that the Americans
might attempt to take over the market. Worries were dispelled by
the introduction of prohibition in 1922.
round and full;
begins with a light taste, clean and mellow, building to a smooth
Highland glow - a balanced medley of malty sweetness, fruit and
oak, with distant whiffs of smoke Finish: smooth, silky and heather